Monday, November 24, 2008

Wonders of Walmart/Evils of casserole

Not a very exciting day today. Went to Walmart for Thanksgiving groceries and will still have to go to the grocery store again. Walmart has some dirt cheap prices on some things, but they don't have a lot of selection. For example, they don't carry riesling wine for some reason. And their produce is always out of something. On the other hand, they had sweet potatoes for 43 cents a pound.

I have new pictures of the kids I've been taking, but I haven't downloaded them yet. I've been trying to get the "are you trying to kill me?" grimace that Kenna makes with the first bite of cereal. Hilarious. I wish that my camera used the smaller flash cards. There is a super cool gadget for cameras that uses wi-fi to automatically upload photos off your camera and onto the web or wherever you want them to go but it only works with the little cards, not the bigger compact flash my camera uses. Such a bummer. I love the automagic of wifi. In fact, I got all techie and fixed my printer so that I could use it on the wireless network in our house. I tell ya, I'm practically a genius or something. Ha.
I made a casserole tonight to test drive it prior to springing it on a mom in my group who just had a baby (congrats to Talia and little baby Anthony!). It was ok (anything that involves a brick of cream cheese and a carton of sour cream can't completely suck, let's be honest). I have to say, the appeal of the casserole eludes me. They are not easy or quick to make. You dirty up a billion pans to assemble the ingredients and then still have to cook it in the oven to have everything come together. I can saute a chicken breast, make a pan sauce and a side of rice and veggies in 25 minutes start to finish and use only three dishes. When you make casserole, in the end you have...a casserole. And I ask myself: all that work and this is what I got? On the upside, the humble casserole has a comfort food quality about it that can be nice and it is portable hence the need to make one to take to someone else. Casserole is the food of potlucks, new babies, etc.
So anyone out there with a kick ass casserole dish that is not a lasagna, chicken fettucine or enchiladas please let me know (I'm trying to take pity on these poor people. I think they are going to be getting fettucine or enchiladas every other day for two weeks). Meanwhile, back to the drawing board.

No comments: