Monday, August 10, 2009

Flying Hoo Hoo

What? July 12 was the last post? It seems like just the other day. I guess I took a summer vacation from blogging. We are officially home again. We took the drive slower on the way back and stopped in Pocatello and then in Kanab Utah (Kanab rhymes with blab) before getting home on Saturday. It was a record breaking trip: no vomit!!! Not once. It wasn't a very eventful trip in general, however I will say that I had the worst meal I've had in a long time in Kanab. We went to the restaurant that looked family friendly instead of like it had good food and were so sorry. Yuck. The beer was good though. I had an Evolution Ale that was a Utah brew. Packing up all the kids at 5 in the morning though, I thought to myself that I wanted to remember that moment. The feel of sleepy baby bodies in my arms. That tiny heavy weight snuggled up to me. They are little for such a very brief time.
Prior to coming home we did the usual stuff--Art on the Green (I bought more jewelry from Spirit Lala. No kidding. Spirit Lala is actually her name), we swam in the lake and river, played in the backyard a lot, ate fresh picked green beans, that sort of thing. We've spent the last couple days trying to dig out of the massive mess that moving house 1500 miles with three kids creates. Laney was thrilled to be home and back in her room and all were happy to find their toys which immediately were strewn from hell to breakfast.
Today, while the twins were napping, Laney and I went outside to play. Looking at the pool led to some wading which led to a wet dress which led to getting naked which led to skinny dipping. I sat there and watched as my two year old swam lap after lap across the width of the pool. She must have gone back and forth 50 times. When she finally got out she was laying in a chair and yelled at me "Mommy! I just saw a hoo hoo!"
I was thinking she meant something, um, anatomical. No, she saw a hoo hoo. A flying hoo hoo. Then it dawned on me. She saw an owl!
All of the kids were playing later that afternoon and ran after a toy together. I watched them and thought that they looked like a little herd. I can't believe how much they have changed in such a short time.
Kenna can officially say a word now. Bird. She clinched the inheritance of my grandmother's McCoy pottery today. She looked up on top of the hutch and said "bird!". She was so enthused about the bird vase. Last night she stood outside saying bird and flapping her little arms.
This evening we all went swimming and ate pizza in the backyard. I've decided that I may have been too hasty in deciding never to have a pool again. I'm going to have three little swimmers by next year. Wow.

No comments: