Sunday, June 21, 2009

Farmers and Fathers

Saturday we went to the farmers market and with the kids. Dana and Jeff met us there, since Jeff wanted to scout egg prices and the general lay of the land. I miss the market. There's one in Oro Valley but it is really tiny and most of the stuff isn't really grown or made by the people there. It's always festive to go to this one. A 90 year old woman did a dance to Itsty Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini and had on one of those t-shirts with the fake bikini lady on it. I'm a little scarred. I was terrified to stick around too long because I heard she was planning to hula later. May I live to be 90 and doing vaudeville. I couldn't resist taking picts. Those yellow tomatoes above were delish by the way. I got an invite from the peony man to come check out his farm, so I think I will do that if the weather improves. Little known fact about Lori: Peonies are my all time favorite flower. They are just so exuberant and slightly over the top while still being so fragile and fleeting. Sigh. When I was about 5, I rode my bike to school (first grade at Washington Elementary) and took the scenic route. On the way, I passed a house with the most beautiful flowers I had ever seen (peonies). So beautiful in fact that I couldn't resist them and picked one of the raspberry colored blooms and took it to school (sorry about that mysterious home owner). I admired that flower all day. I still remember the way it smelled and its velvet petals.
Today we went to breakfast with Charles for Father's Day after giving him his tie. Ties are traditional, right? We went together and bought my Dad a Ryobi toolset that includes a two saws, a drill and a flashlight--so basically Charles got the shaft. Perhaps I'll make it up to him on his birthday. C flew to Oklahoma after b-fast and I stopped by the parents. Carter had spent the night so they were up and at 'em early. He had many new acquisitions from yesterday's yard sale at Aunt Lynda's. I'm sure his mother is thrilled. One of his new treasures is a green cosmetic bag with sequins. He and Griffin will make a good pair one day, since Griffin also enjoys accessories particularly headbands with Barbie on them.
This afternoon Kenna walked most of the way across the living room. She's on a roll now. Look out. We went back to Mom's for dinner tonight. We had turkey and mashed potatoes. Which was a great meal on a rainy cold day. I think the high temp was 65. I think Tucson's temp was 106 today. Cool and rainy isn't so bad. As long as it goes away soon.
PS Trying out a collage feature in Picasa...how does this look to you? Not sure how this will display on other's computers.

No comments: