Friday, January 22, 2010

Congratulations! It's a Stone.

Yesterday morning, Charles woke up sick. He was up about 5:30 and I thought at first he'd acquired Laney's tummy bug from last week. By 6 I was up with him and decided to take a shower since he seemed to be getting worse (good thinking on my part). By 6:30 he was literally rolling around on the floor. He told me that the pain was bad in the right lower side of his abdomen, so I thought he might be having appendicitis. So I called Diane, woke the kids up, grabbed them clothes and diapers and threw everyone in the car. Charles was actually puking by this point so he got a bucket too. What I didn't have? A charged cell phone, gas in the car, shoes for the kids or underwear for Laney. I ran yellow/red lights about three times on the way to the hospital, once right in front of a cop. Laney thought the sudden acceleration through the light was awesome (we did the other two on the way to the hospital). Sadly, during my husband's excruciating ordeal, I had to stop for gas after dropping the kids off since I had NONE. I was starting to envision what it would be like to run out of gas 2 miles from the hospital with no cell phone. When we got there, Charles walked in to the waiting room and sort of collapsed on the floor in pain while I tried to get someone to help him. I realize that they are used to these sorts of things, but it would be nice if they had at least some sort of urgency in helping you get care. They took Charles back and I went to park the car, by the time I got back he'd already been seen by the dr. and diagnosed with kidney stones. As painful as it was, I was glad that was it and we didn't have to do surgery. They morphined him up and it took the edge off. They released him at about 10:30 or so and I took him home then went to get drugs and kids. His second narcotics r/x in a month. Oh, and did I mention that we were in the midst of the biggest storm Arizona has had in 17 years? I was wondering if our tree in the front yard would come down and finish off the day in a super special way. It's still standing though.
We watched Chitty Chitty Bang Bang last night and Laney stayed up too late. I haven't seen that movie since I was about 8. Laney slept with us and hogged the bed all night. On the up side, my shoulder quit hurting. I think it must have been dislocated. On Monday night I woke up and it sort of slid and popped. Tuesday it was super painful when I let my arm relax but it's pretty good now.

2 comments:

Senator Joyce said...

I can remember a similar trip to the hospital with your Uncle when he sliced his finger butchering turkeys. Luckily Grandma and Grandpa were there already so I didn't have to drop kids off, but the gas issue was one I learned a lesson on. I try not to let the tank get below 1/4 now. I am glad he didn't need surgery again. Have him drink lots of lemonade.
The acid helps breakdown the stones. Keep your chin up and come visit soon.
LYL. Auntie Joyce

Ryann said...

That is really ironic. My dad had kidney stones the weekend before last and had to go to the hospital. Maybe it is in the Phillips blood? The docs have told my dad for years that he needs to stop drinking iced tea-that they produce the stones. Is Chuck a big tea drinker too? Either way, I hope that it passes soon! They are awful!